The 2009 Plan
I've decided on the following periods, following the approach in Joe Friel "Triathlete's Training Bible". I've tweaked it a bit from my original plan so my "A" race is earlier, giving me more time between it and Ironman.
- Preparation - 5 weeks - Starts Dec 1
- Base 1 - 4 weeks - Jan 5
- Base 2 - 4 weeks - Feb 2
- Base 3 - 4 weeks - March 3
- Build 1 - 4 weeks - March 30
- Build 2 - 4 weeks - April 27
- Peak - 2 weeks - May 25
- Race - 1 week - June 8 (Muskoka Long Course Tri)
- Transition - 1 week - June 15
- Base 2 - 3 weeks - June 22
- Base 3 - 4 weeks - July 13
- Peak - 2 weeks - Aug 10
- Race - 1 week - Aug 24 (Ironman Canada)
- Transition - several weeks... - Aug 31
Perod 1: Preparation
(Dec 1 - Jan 5)
This period is about developing/maintaining basic endurance, speed skills (technique), and getting used to a more structured training program.
Swimming - My primary concern and focus is on swimming skills, as that's my biggest weakness. I'm less concerned with distance right now, more concerned with becoming a better swimmer. I've been taking classes, and am going through a lot of drills to improve my technique. The goal is 3-4 pool sessions per week, which should be pretty easy to find time for.
Running - I'll be maintaining a 15K long run, which I'll do every second week. I did a 16k today, my longest since the marathon, that went well.
Biking - My main priority is going to be to get comfortable with the aero bars. I need to get a different seat, possibly a forward seat post, and do some work on adjusting my position. Hopefully I get that sorted out on the trainer, then I'll be ready to go once the weather cooperates!
I'm ready and eager to get started!