Proper Caloric Intake During Exercise
- Ditch the sucrose, glucose, fructose... if it ends in "ose", leave it at home
- Fuel with complex carbs, primarily maltodextrin
- Aim for about 250 calories from carbs an hour (or less if you're smaller than me, I'm big)
- Add protein if you're going out longer than 90-120 mins, preferably from soy
Oh yeah, and :
- Buy lots of Hammer products!!!
I don't know if I buy all that he's selling... I've had good experience with more of a mix of carbs, and I did my most recent century ride primarily fueling with Gatorade, gels, turkey wraps, cookies... felt great at the end, had energy throughout. Maybe I would have done better if I'd stuck to the complex carbs, who knows?
For my upcoming marathon, I'm going with a Maltodextrin-based gel. I plan to use one every 1/2 hour, giving me about 200 calories from gels each hour. I'll take mostly water from the aid stations, but will also grab the odd Gatorade to give me the 250 calories I should be aiming for. It's more or less what I've been doing in training, so I'm fairly confident it will work out.